Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Shortcake and Sunflowers

I've been carrying around little scraps and bits of things to tell you, and don't know where to put them.  So, today you get odds and ends all wrapped up together, sort of like a blog pinata.

The sunflowers in my yard are 5 feet high and still growing, and I have fought back the weeds so my little collection of plants has room to grow. I bought them at the grocery store- 1 basil, 1 rosemary, 2 tomatoes, a sad pepper plant, and the fig tree I promised Emily I would keep alive.

I sent packages the other day, to friends in Taos, Boulder, Memphis, and Seattle.  Sending packages is one of my favorite things to do.

One of my other favorite things to do is make strawberry shortcake. This the second or third time I have mentioned shortcake in the past 2 months.  I'll move on to a new dessert now, I promise. But seriously, for about $6 you can get a small carton of whipping cream, a plastic container of strawberries, and some Pillsbury biscuits.  Eaten on the porch on a warm Texas night, watching the fireflies- I don't miss my slugs or raincoats back at home.

Early morning sitting on the couch with Guthrie, reading Annie Dillard's An American Childhood, drinking coffee out of the little white mug with painted mosquitoes on it that we found at a garage sale in Santa Fe.  The bottom of it reads "Sharon, 1976," and I wish I knew its story.

Reading an email from Shelley in Bellingham, missing potato burritos and Boulevard Park, and her most of all.

Went running the other day, tripped on the sidewalk, and skinned my knee. Flailed around on the sidewalk in front of Steven and he said, "Lindsey, you've got to pick up your feet when you run." Then I pointed and said, "It's bleeding!" He replied, "Yes, I don't think a band aid will help you much,  you'll be okay."  This reminded me that I have been dramatic about injuries for the last few decades.  When I was a toddler I apparently ran screaming around the side of the house searching for my Mom, scaring the shit out of her for what was, in fact, a hangnail.

Found a baby possum in my recycle bin on the back porch- he climbed in there to eat peanut butter and then got stuck.  Funny looking guy, pretended he was dead and I believed him.

Went to Target and felt sorry for myself because I didn't have enough extra cash to buy crap I didn't need, like a throw pillow and a candle, and a stuffed giraffe for my friend's daughter. This was probably for the best, or the list of packages from above may have included a Teenage Mutant Ninja turtle for my Dad's stuffed animal collection.

We went to see a minor league baseball game last night, the Round Rock Express versus the Reno Aces.  The Express swept the Aces 4-0, and two players got hit with baseballs, one in the face and one in the shin. Our favorite players was a guy named Tuffy Gosewich.  We ate dollar hot dogs and kicked off our sandals while the sun set over the field.

Off to go water the sunflowers and throw on a summer dress, and get ready for the 95 degree day.

Hope you enjoyed your blog pinata.  Sorry I didn't include any baby bottles of booze, I know those are always a hit with adults.  I promise to write again soon!

6 comments:

  1. Historical correction: you were not a toddler. You were 10 years old. You had been playing out back when I heard you wailing and screaming. You came running into the front yard where I was sitting quietly, trying to avoid parental duties. From the sound of it, I thought you had managed to sever a limb but no, you had a splinter.

    Historical sidenote: you definitely get your sense of drama from your Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, two Seattle gals who abandoned the clammy PNW for summers that start in April and end in October. I won't lie - I love the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche, Mama. I think it's better when I get the stories wrong, because then you have a chance to share little gems like these. Also, could you fly out here and help me? I think I stubbed my toe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open a bottle of whiskey...that should help.

      Delete
  4. Omigod Mom it totally worked! Cancel the flight!

    ReplyDelete